Monday, July 03, 2023

A love of books

How Aunt Sylvia loved books! 

They filled her house, and on

my visits I'd find them scattered 

on every available surface. 

Bookshelves, tables, nightstands,

radiator covers. Stacks of books

she'd already read. Stacks waiting

to be read. Romances. Historical fiction.

Literary novels. Biographies. 

You could go into any room 

and find books there. Paperbacks, 

hardcovers. Magazines, too. 

She gave me copies of the classics

for my birthdays. Huck Finn.

Tom Sawyer. Winnie the Pooh.

Walden. Hoping, I guess, I'd become

a reader, too. A book lover. A fan

of stories. And poems. (She gave me

a copy of Robert Louis Stevenson's

A Child's Garden of Verses.) 

Years later, I still have those books 

on my shelves, and looking at them

I realize it wasn't just the books 

she gave me but her love of

books that is the gift that endures, 

that brings me back to books

again ...  and again.

No comments: