Sunday, June 02, 2024

Revising, then re-revising

For my current project I’m re-reading the opening lines again and again, and revising, then re-revising.

With each draft I go a little further, adding voices, taking out stanzas, finding words malleable, nothing set in stone.


It’s liberating, this way of revising, but also terrifying. Everything keeps changing. And the implication of such changes (in my mind, at least) is that whatever I wrote to begin with must have been wrong … or not good enough. 


I have to remind myself that each draft is in a state of becoming. 


I have to tell myself it may not be good enough yet, but it will become good enough if I keep revising it.


This doubt (about whether it’s good enough, about whether I’m good enough) only intensifies with each draft and becomes another obstacle that I have to overcome if I want to return to the page each day. 


What’s critical is that I learn to ignore this voice saying I’m not good enough. (Or why bother? Or you’ll never succeed.)


To succeed I need to keep working on the draft. 


I need to keep revising. 


I need to keep alive the curiosity that wants to know what happens next… and what might happen if I add this word or take away this phrase… and how the poem or story might change… and how the reader’s understanding of the story might deepen.


So I keep revising, waiting with hope for the puzzle pieces to fall into place. 


It feels like I’m working without a net.


And on some days I wonder why I do this.


Maybe it’s because I feel such pleasure discovering what might happen, creating something new, something never seen before. 


Maybe it’s because I enjoy carving a path where there never was a path before.


You know the feeling, too, I’m guessing. 


How following your own path leads to moments of discovery that are a source of joy. (Maybe I should call them moments of revelation.) 


Suddenly, the page opens in ways I never could have predicted, and a source of light illuminates the darkness.


This is what I love most about writing.


How the words flow from my pen each morning, how the ink appears on the page, how the lines form into stanzas, paragraphs, poems, stories.


How writing lets me feel as if I’m part of a larger story that I’m trying to tell (and trying to figure out at the same time).


And, most of all, how I can look back after a day or week or month at the pages that have accumulated and feel that I am where I belong, here, with paper and pen in hand, part of an ongoing mystery.


No comments: